...carry guns."
This is what one of my adult students is convinced of. He's not actually an adult adult but he's 18 and has a slight impairment that I'm unable to completely figure out. Today, he was the only student of 8 who showed up for this class and we ended up chatting for 50 minutes about who knows what. In fact, he talked and talked and talked and I had no idea what he was talking about. Before I realised it, my mind began wondering and I started thinking about what I want to do for my summer vacation (which by the way is only 5 days...hmf). When I snapped back to reality I couldn't figure out what he was saying so I continued to look interested and responded with different tones of mmm, ooh, really?, wow, uhh. I don't think he noticed. I remember him saying something about being in a bus accident in Korea and the drivers of the involved vehicles were all yelling at each other. This doesn't surprise me at all since Koreans can be very vocal and aggressive in these types of situations. I then told him about the bus accident I was in in Japan and how the drivers just bowed and calmly spoke to one another before the police and tow trucks came. Joe said he hated it when Koreans fight and yell so I said maybe he would like the calmer attitudes and approaches of the Japanese and asked him if he's ever been. He replied and said, "no, I've never been to another country". I then asked him if he could go anywhere in the world where would it be? Joe said he wants to go to America but is very scared. He's scared because "everyone carries guns in their pockets". I explained that this obviously isn't true in which he replied, "no teacher, I am scared because all women, men and children in America have guns." I think I need to stop teaching English and start teaching American culture.
yeah, seriously. save the minds of these children.
ReplyDeletemy tutoree that i meet with every week (young, married, bored housewise) told me that because america is a multi-ethnic country, she can not understand why there is racism. the best part was when she told me that korea does not have any racism.
you can imagine my response